Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nobody likes to be poked in real life.

Mark Zuckerberg has done wonders in creating the world we now know as Facebook. He has tapped into the human unconscious and identified what we are looking for in creating and maintaining relationships online and how to go about doing that. And for all that genius, I feel Zuckerberg dropped the ball on one aspect of the revolutionary social network: poking. It was all fun and cute when I first joined Facebook four years ago but I was recently reminded of this now little used application when my roommate announced her cousin in Lebanon had so indiscreetly prodded her. It was her first poke; she was no longer a poke virgin and didn't know how to feel about it. Mostly because she didn't know what it was.


Or for that matter, what it meant. The significance of poking differs across social groups and age ranges. When I first started using Facebook, when I was fifteen, if a boy poked you, woah. hold the phone. he totallyyyyyyyy liiiiikes you. Amongst the older, college crowd, it was a guy's way of letting you know he wanted in your pants. Or so I heard. Beyond that, there were the infamous Facebook "poke wars" and we should just leave it at that because I get annoyed just thinking about it. 


When Facebook was opened to the general population a few years later, poking opened a whole new can of worms as relatives, thinking “poking” was a fun, charming, yet hip means of communication, began bothering their grandchildren, nieces, and nephews. For the children who were obliged to “friend” their older relatives at the insistence of their parents, like myself, they faced a conundrum: do I poke them back, risking them poking me again and beginning a never ending back-and-forth of obnoxiousness or ignore the poke and risk getting called out for not returning the gesture at Thanksgiving dinner? It sounds trivial, but at least in my high school mind, it was a heavily-weighted problem.


Thankfully, the issue was resolved, interestingly enough, with the emergence of Superpoke!, an application which allows users execute various actions upon their friends from hugging to defenestrating to seasonal options such as giving a reindeer. And while it caused more awkward moments, such as getting body slammed by your boss’s boss at the city Recreation Department, Facebook’s original poking was quickly forgotten about. And with the site’s reconfiguration soon after, applications such as Superpoke! became difficult to find and thus off the radar. And was I happy to be done with that…


But this story still doesn’t answer the question of WHY poking really existed in the first place. Facebook attests that they wanted to have an application that had no real purpose whatsoever; that could be used to attract attention, or just say “hi”, without having to say anything at all. But what is weaker than having the technology do it all for you? If somebody poked me today, I think I would just be annoyed—why is this person bothering me like this? What am I supposed to do with this? I figure if a person really wants to talk to me, they will reach out in some other way and say something, in real words. If Zuckerberg intended to have Facebook create and enhance relationships, he certainly took a wrong turn with poking, further giving people an excuse not to actually interact with others and instead put in the minimal amount available: a click of a button. The media often suggests that the internet is stunting our social growth and in some ways I would agree, especially in reference to poking. But thankfully for our generation, I think we’ve already avoided this threat.

7 comments:

  1. Poking used to be awesome on facebook. And depending on how much poking was going on, maybe she totallyyyyyyyy liiiiikes me. But after years of poking, I feel like poking is kinda dumb. For me, it's become "we havne't talked in a while, and I really don't have anything to say, but I still wanna keep in touch, so I'll just poke you". But definitely... I wonder what Zuckerberg imagined poking would become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally, never understood this poking fad. Nor, do I actually believe that "poking" is a true way to interact socially even as a brief set of flirtations. Honestly, poking has become more of an annoyance to me than anything. Now when I receive a poke I generally just ignore it. It's rare that any of my close friends poke me. I do believe that Facebook in many ways stunts our social growth in the sense that our lives revolve around virtual interactions. I'm honestly just waiting to see when "poking" is removed from Facebook entirely (if that ever occurs.)
    --Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Zuckerberg seemed to make everything on Facebook so perfectly and with-a-purpose that I think he just needed something completely random to keep the fun going. Despite the fact that poking is annoying to many people, it really is just a "way of saying hi without actually saying anything at all" as you put it. However, for some people, when they aren't able to see each other in person very much, but still don't have much to say, all they have to do is send a little poke. Now what's wrong with that? You never have to think of a witty reply, just always poke back. Plain and simple.

    - Maria Ostovic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic! Only two people have ever 'poked' me (okay, that sounds weird just writing it). I think in both cases it was a "hey, I haven't heard from you in a while." But, I really didn't want to participate. I kind of remember Superpoke, but was probably too busy with Mafia Wars (just kidding and all that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I have never poked nor been poked on Facebook. I always glanced past the button and never considered the actual purpose of it. I thought that it was a childish thing to do - "poking" someone. Even saying it makes people laugh. However, while playing with a friend's Blackberry recently, I found a very similar function in BBM (the Blackberry messaging app). Instead of writing out a message to a BBM contact, you can "Ping" them. Basically, all it does is send them a message that says "PING!!!" written in red, whereas all other text is black. I asked my friend about this function, yet she didn't have a response for what is was meant to do. I see a "Ping" as I see a "Poke" - a wordless gesture sent to a contact. I jokingly texted my friend "PING!!!" from my iPhone after this, mostly to mock the function that I see as doing nothing. Pokes don't bother me on Facebook, but I see no utility to them and don't think they'll grow on me either. Hopefully, no one pokes on Facebook me after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can barely remember the last time I was poked. That option had disappeared from my thought until your blog post reminded me of how fun it used to be. I don't think Zuckerberg was necessarily "wrong" in instituting the poke option; I think it's just one of those things that becomes a trend and dies out. It's fun when you're engaged in a meaningless game for a little while, but the triviality of it will eventually take over. With the removal of more trivial apps like Superpoke and Graffiti wall, Zuckerberg chose to go in the more professional direction. It was his decision to take his product the way he did, and I don't think the poke option necessarily detracts from that. It might be superfluous, but I don't think it crowds up screen real estate or has any other negative effect on my Facebook experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ping is interesting here--that has an actual history in computing. Pinging is an operation you can use to see if an address is a network administration utility used to test to see if a host is functioning online, and how long it takes for a 'signal' to go round trip. So, it's amusing that Blackberry kind of 'stole' this idea as the correlate to poking.

    ReplyDelete